- Always lock your car doors,
even when you will be gone for only a few minutes.
- Lock your doors when driving.
- Park in areas that have good
lighting, and observe your surroundings when you leave your car at
- Always have your car and house
keys in hand so you will not have to fumble for them.
- Always check the back seat
before entering your car.
- Keep your car in good working
- If your car breaks down, use
such as putting the hood up, or activating your hazard lights.
Remain in the car with the doors locked unless your situation requires
you to exit the vehicle. Ask anyone who does stop to send a tow truck
and/or call the police. Be wary of accepting help from strangers.
- If you are being followed by
another car, call the police or pull
into the nearest gas station, police/fire department, or lighted home.
If you do not have access to a cell phone, honk your horn to draw
attention to yourself.
- Do not pick up hitch hikers.