HomeAbout MVPDMVPD PersonnelMessage from Chief Earnest
D.A.R.E.StatisticsSubmit a TipF.A.Q.


Q: When is City Hall open to the public?
A: It is open Mon-Fri, 8am to 4:30pm, with the exceptions of State and National Holidays.

Q: Where is the police department located?
A: It is located on the south side of City Hall, 319 E. Dallas St.

Q: Can I go to the police department to file a report?
A: Yes, but if there is not an officer available when you arrive, you can go to Lawrence County Sheriff's Office and request an officer.

Q: When will my report be completed?
A: We strive to complete all reports before the end of our shift. But sometimes due to call volume we are unable to complete a report until the next shift. After the report is completed by the officer, it has to be reviewed and approved by the Chief, Asst. Chief, or Corporal. Generally, we advise people to wait 3-5 business days before contacting the police department to obtain a copy of a report.

Q: Does it cost anything to obtain a copy of my report?
A: Yes, a copy of your report will cost $3.00 which will be paid in the front of City Hall.

Q: I was issued a traffic ticket or summons to court. How do I take care of these?
A: You can either pay the fine and court costs for a traffic ticket at City Hall, or opt to take it to court. If you've received a summons to court, you must appear before the judge on the court date given to you by the officer. All tickets must be taken care of on or before the court date that was given to you. If for some reason you will not be able to make the court date, be sure you contact our court clerk or our city PA.

Q: How much is my fine?
A: Click here to see the fine schedule. *Note* Not all fines are listed online, if you have a question please call City Hall.

Q: Who is the city attorney?
A: Bill Petrus.

Q: I have a complaint about someone or something in my neighborhood, can I remain anonymous?
A: Absolutely. However, there may be some instances where it would be helpful for you to sign a complaint. If you choose not to sign a complaint, we will do everything we can do to resolve your complaint.

Q: What if I feel like the complaint wasn't handled in the right way, or that the officer did not resolve the issue?
A: You can contact Chief Hubert or Asst. Chief Lacey Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm, or Corporal Cobb during the evening time.

Q: Why did it take the officer longer than I expected to respond to my call for service?
A: In this profession, we deal with a wide variety of issues. Sometimes the officer(s) will be busy on one call or detail for an extended period of time in order to ensure that it is resolved. If there is an officer available to respond to your call for service, he or she should be there as soon as possible. Please remember, there are nearly 5,000 people who live in Mt. Vernon, and sometimes our call volume is high.

Q: What if I want to speak with the Chief after 4pm or on the weekends?
A: We will not contact our Chief or Asst. Chief after 4pm through the weekdays, or on the weekends in reference to a complaint or concern. If an emergency situation exists where an administrator needs to be contacted, we will do so. If you need to speak with a supervisor after 4pm or throughout the weekend, you may ask to speak with Corporal Cobb.